TBJ81: Matthew Murchison, Sexiest Euphonium Player in West Virginia on playing, writing and charting your own course in music
Composer, tuba and euphonium soloist and all-around fellow knucklehead Matthew Murchison joins Andrew & Lance to discuss his bands Mainspring and the Matthew Murchison Mutiny, studies with Brian Bowman and being yourself as an artist.
In this fun and lively conversation, we cover:
- Being the Sexiest Euphonium Player in West Virginia
- That he is, in fact, a Doctor
- Teaching at Marshall University
- Former Solo Euphonium with River City Brass
- Workin’ on (p)stuff
- Breaking a spring
- His method book for teaching euphonium players to play tuba
- Studies with Brian Bowman in undergrad
- His band Mainspring: (flute, euphonium and rhythm section)
- Composing and arranging
- No preconceived notion of what euphonium music should be to regular audiences which is a huge opportunity
- Expanding his writing to include electronics
- Being yourself as an artist
- Who is doing interesting stuff right now (Demondrae Thurmon, Ben Pierce, Fernando Deddos)
- Whether competitions help or hurt young players
- Asking for feedback after competitions
Want to help the show? Here are some ways:
- Help others find the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes.
- Show us some love on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Help us pay the bills (and get regular bonus episodes!) by becoming a Patreon patron.
- Show some love to our sponsors: The brass program at The Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University and Parker Mouthpieces (including the Andrew Hitz and Lance LaDuke models.)
- Tell your friends!
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm.