In this Listener's Choice episode, Andrew & Lance answer a frequently asked listener question regarding starting a brass group.
We cover many areas, including:
- Start with why
- Gigging group or full-time endeavor
- Traditional brass quintet instrumentation?
- Skills developed via chamber music
- The path if you want a gigging group
- Opportunities to play different musical roles
- The "who" decision
- "Good to Great" by Jim Collins
- Division of labor
- The Polka Bandits
- The Dead Animals
- 2 Red Performance Commando Unit
- Incorporate or not?
- Picking a name
- Picking the right market for your skills
- Andrew's last Boston Brass gig
Want to help the show? Here are some ways:
- Help others find the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes.
- Show us some love on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Help us pay the bills (and get regular bonus episodes!) by becoming a Patreon patron.
- Show some love to our sponsors: The brass program at The Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University and Parker Mouthpieces (including the Andrew Hitz and Lance LaDuke models.)
- Tell your friends!
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm.