TBJ82: Geoffrey Pilkington, Principal Horn for the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra on yoga, humility and the Long Call
Geoffrey Pilkington, Principal Horn for the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra joins Andrew & Lance to talk about working with Don Greene, dealing with the effects of a pinched nerve and gives us a great behind-the-scenes look at what goes into preparing for and playing the Ring Cycle.
In this fun and lively conversation, we cover:
- His main gigs (Principal horn for National Opera in DC, and Assistant Principal in Harrisburg PA Symphony)
- Studying at Juilliard
- How his practice habits have changed
- Super final round (1st time) was Geoff and Phil Munds, Maestro, “Neither were the next Dale Clevenger”
- Super final round (2nd time) with WeiPing Chou, Maestro, “Don’t miss any notes”
- Working with Don Greene on audition prep
- His parents were amateur musicians and his Dad's request to a 5th grade Geoff, “Pick anything you want except saxophone or French horn”
- How to explain why the horn is difficult to people who know nothing about music
- How to explain why the horn is difficult to people who DO know about music
- The importance of humility for a horn player
- Playing the Ring Cycle, especially the Sigfried Long Call
- Playing with a pinched nerve in his neck and shoulder
- Adversity training with Don Greene, some dude doing “The Worm”
- Using swimming as a way to warm up and prepare physically and mentally
- Using Bikram Yoga and meditation to prepare for The Ring
- The importance of visualization in audition or performance preparation
- Why focus is like a muscle, you can work on developing it
Want to help the show? Here are some ways:
- Help others find the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes.
- Show us some love on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Help us pay the bills (and get regular bonus episodes!) by becoming a Patreon patron.
- Show some love to our sponsors: The brass program at The Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University and Parker Mouthpieces (including the Andrew Hitz and Lance LaDuke models.)
- Tell your friends!
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm.