TBJ79: Euphonium Ambassador Adam Frey on what it is like to be the Ambassador of Euphonium. Like that is a thing.
Adam Frey has had a great career as a soloist, publisher, teacher and major proponent of the euphonium and has endured Lance's hump-busting for over twenty years.
He is also the mastermind behind both the fantastic International Euphonium-Tuba (IET) Festival and euphonium.com. He currently teaches at the University of North Georgia.
In this fun and lively conversation, we cover:
- Euphonium jokes
- How Adam and Lance met in the Brass Band of Battle Creek
- Tales of the Badger (dearly departed mega friend, Chris Matten)
- Meeting James Gourlay
- Teaching at the University of North Georgia
- Playing in Macau
- IET Festival, 15th anniversary in the summer of 2018
- How he started the festival and how it is organized
- The importance of good coffee when running a festival
- Being an ambassador of the euphonium and the Ambassador of Euphonium
- Fernando Deddos, David Childs, and other influential current players
- Creating opportunities and the importance of collaboration
- Working with Patricio Cosentino, Scott Hartman, and Jeff Nelsen
- Having good ideas vs. having good ideas and acting on them
- Starting and running euphonium.com
Want to help the show? Here are some ways:
- Help others find the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes.
- Show us some love on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Help us pay the bills (and get regular bonus episodes!) by becoming a Patreon patron.
- Show some love to our sponsors: The brass program at The Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University and Parker Mouthpieces (including the Andrew Hitz and Lance LaDuke models.)
- Tell your friends!
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm