TBJ131: Listener's Choice: Andrew & Lance warm up to the idea of warming up and other brass nerd stuff. Two listeners' questions are featured, covering warmups and practice routines.
Thank you to Susan and Mark for these great questions!
In this fun and lively discussion, we cover:
- Barking dogs
- Andrew's dog can read
- Fancy playgrounds
- Lance can't remember anything
- Recording the TBJ theme song with Clarke and Sam
- Mike, I mean Michael Parker
- Andrew hanging with folks at the Army Tuba-Euphonium Workshop
- Sare from Bremerton, Washington
- Lick flexibility
- Lance's warmup
- Saying nice things about JD
- Mr. Kim and the last-minute cha-cha
- Length of time for the warmup
- "Can I play a couple of notes?"
- Audition day at Shenandoah Conservatory
- Pat Sheridan's morning class in Arizona
- Andrew's warmup
- Andrew's beautiful singing voice
- Tips from Marty Hackleman and Joe Alessi
- Smooth Air Movement = SAM!!!
- Michael Davis' 20-Minute Warmup Book
- Jacobs Special Studies from the Hal Leonard book
- Arbans page 1
- Routine vs. Warmup
- Warmup differences between developing players and mature players
- When to change up your routine
- Mark from Toronto
- Lance's practice schedule while in college
- Jim Nova is a cracker-jack trombone player
- Andrew's practice habits
- The importance of practicing consistently as a beginner
- Andrew and Lance playing in every group that would have them
- The importance of listening
- Mahler jams
Want to help the show? Here are some ways:
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm.